Kubernetes deployment strategies:
- recreate: terminate the old version and release the new one
- ramped: release a new version on a rolling update fashion, one after the other
- blue/green: release a new version alongside the old version then switch traffic
- canary: release a new version to a subset of users, then proceed to a full rollout
- a/b testing: release a new version to a subset of users in a precise way (HTTP headers, cookie, weight, etc.). This doesn’t come out of the box with Kubernetes, it imply extra work to setup a smarter loadbalancing system (Istio, Linkerd, Traeffik, custom nginx/haproxy, etc).
- shadow: release a new version alongside the old version. Incoming traffic is mirrored to the new version and doesn’t impact the response.